Day 9

 5:37pm

May 16


    Today, I shadowed the second day of the Learn to Kayak program. There were two instructors and three people learning. After packing lunches and gear we drove off to the Tuckasegee River. It was mainly a Class 11 river. It was a great place for the new paddlers to learn on. It had little waves to catch, eddy moves, and drops. First, the instructors and I taught edging. When entering or leaving the current you need to make sure you have the proper edge that allows water to flow under the kayak. We then did some roll drills. We didn't have anyone flip all the way over and try a roll, we just let them practice hip snaps. We ended the run with a rapid called Devil's Den. The whole rest of the river was quite small, so I wasn't expecting the large hole that it was. I powered through it and then went back in it again and again until I tired myself out. Overall, I had a good time seeing people gain a love for whitewater kayaking like I do. 

Hours:

9:00am to 5:00pm

Day: 8 hours

Total: 63 hours

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 5

Weekly Reflection 2

Day 2